In 2017 the Victorian Deaf Education Institute (VDEI) is offering a year-long mentoring program designed for educational support (ES) staff who interpret into Auslan in classrooms.
Who can participate?
Educational support (ES) staff who are currently employed to provide Auslan interpreting in classrooms in any school in Victoria. Participants may work full or part time. The program will run after school hours. Applicants must be willing to commit to participating in the program outside their normal working hours.
What are the aims of the program?
Participants will further develop their interpreting skills through:
- participating in group workshops, videoconference sessions and one-to-one mentoring
- learning to self-assess their interpreting skills across a range of criteria including: use of fingerspelling, numbers, vocabulary, size and shape specifiers, structuring space and grammar
- developing an action plan identifying areas for further development
- expanding their proficiency in the areas identified in video analysis.
- What are my responsibilities as a participant?
Successful applicants will:
- attend three two hour onsite workshops at VDEI
- participate either in person at VDEI or via video conference in the four demonstrations (one per term) of group observations of Auslan interpreting
- film two video samples of themselves interpreting in Auslan
- participate in two 1-1 mentoring sessions per term via a mutually agreeable platform such as Skype, Zoom, Adobe connect, Video conferencing
- develop an action plan for further skills development.
How do I apply?
2. Complete all questions and requested information on form
Applications close on Tuesday 14 March 2017 at 7pm
There are a number of responses required in the application, including extended answers to the following questions:
- Please outline what has attracted you to this professional learning opportunity.
- My key expectations for the course are……
- What key skills would you anticipate focusing on or refining during the program?
- Outline the benefits to the sector of your participation in this program.
- Please outline the professional learning you have undertaken during the last two years.
*You may wish to write responses in a word document prior to starting the application and the cut and paste the answers into the form.
*Participants must discuss their involvement in the program with their manager/principal before completing the application.
If interested in participating in this program, please click on the link below and complete the attached form. Applications close on Friday 2 March 2017.
For further information contact Kaye Scott (03) 9032 6400