The VDEI in association with the Australian Sign Language Interpreters Association (ASLIA Vic) have committed in 2012 to providing professional learning programs for educational support (ES) staff who provide Auslan interpretation in classrooms.
Mentoring program for educational support staff who work with signing deaf children
One of the initiatives that will be available for ES staff in 2012 is a mentoring program. This will be facilitated from a number of deaf education settings in 2012.
The mentoring program, which will be run by ASLIA Vic staff, will include the following components:
- Fortnightly contact between the allocated mentor and ES staff at each facility. This may be in person or via a video link. It is anticipated this will occur outside of school hours.
- Filming each educational support staff member while interpreting.
- Analysis of the video recording by the mentor.
- The mentor guiding the developing of an action plan for each staff member involved in the program focussing on strategies for improvement
- The mentor development and implementing a professional learning program based on the needs identified during video analysis. This should occur during fortnightly contact time.
- Re-filming analysis skills and celebrating success.
- At the completion of the course, participation in a feedback process to aid with future planning.